Which ingredients are essential for an effective onboarding process in your organization?
by Bea Derks on May 22, 2023 1:05:46 PM
The successful onboarding of new employees is essential for every organisation. It enables new employees to quickly and effectively contribute to the organisation while also helping to promote their engagement and retention. This onboarding blog will assist organisations in designing and implementing an onboarding program that considers all the key ingredients of successful onboarding.
Work from a holistic approach, such as the 4C model
The 4C model is an effective approach for structuring an onboarding program. The model is based on four core elements:Compliance: Ensure that new employees are aware of the rules, regulations, and procedures of the organisation.
Clarification: Help new employees understand their roles, responsibilities, and goals.
Culture: Familiarise new employees with the organisation's values, norms, and codes of conduct.
Connection: Foster relationships and networking between new employees and their colleagues, managers, and other key individuals in the organisation.
2. Use a step-by-step, structured onboarding approach
A structured program that promotes each "C" of the 4C model can help ensure effective onboarding. Here are some steps to consider when setting up an onboarding program:
- Start with pre-boarding: Ensure a smooth transition from the recruitment and selection phase to the onboarding phase by providing timely information and support to the new employee.
- First day of work: Make the first day memorable and provide a warm welcome. For example, assign a buddy to guide and support the new employee during the first few weeks.
- Compliance: Organise training and workshops on the organisation's rules, regulations, and procedures. Ensure that the new employee receives and signs the necessary documentation. See the next paragraph on how digital tools can support this.
- Clarification: Schedule one-on-one meetings with the supervisor to discuss the new employee's role, responsibilities, and goals. Clearly communicate expectations for new employees and explain how they can provide feedback. See the next paragraph on how digital tools can support this.
- Culture: Organise activities and events to introduce the organisation's values, norms, and codes of conduct. Share honest stories and examples of how the organisational culture is manifested in daily work.
- Connection: Foster networking opportunities by facilitating introductions with colleagues, managers, and other key individuals in the organisation. Consider team-building activities and social events to build and strengthen relationships.
The added value of a step-by-step onboarding is that it allows new employees to gradually acclimate and adapt to their new work environment while also helping them build their confidence and competence. The impact of this approach is higher employee satisfaction, engagement, and retention. Research shows that structured onboarding can lead to an 11% increase in revenue/profit per employee. Digital tools can help program a step-by-step approach and facilitate onboarding new employees, for example, in compliance and clarification, leading to faster and better guidance.
Want to discover the benefits of Plek Onboarding yourself?
View the tour for free and discover the secret of onboarding
"17% of new employees left within three months - some even in the first week. With a good onboarding, it is 58% more likely that someone will still be with the organization after three years."
Get a grip on what really matters to new employees
3. Accelerate onboarding with digital tools such as an onboarding app
An effective digital tool can help streamline new employees' pre-boarding, onboarding, and progress tracking. Consider using an online platform or app that provides the following capabilities:
- Automation of administrative tasks: Digitise documentation, signatures, and approvals to save time and resources.
- Information and resources: Provide access to important documents, guides, videos, and other learning materials related to onboarding.
- Communication and collaboration: Facilitate communication and collaboration among new employees, HR professionals, managers, and colleagues.
- Planning and task management: Assist new employees and HR professionals in planning and tracking onboarding activities and milestones.
- Progress monitoring and reporting: Enable HR professionals to track the progress of new employees and identify any bottlenecks.
The added value of a digital tool is that it makes onboarding more efficient, consistent, and streamlined. The impact of this is an improved experience for both new employees and HR professionals, as well as time savings and better compliance with onboarding processes. Research shows that the use of digital tools results in a 25-50% faster onboarding of employees.
“As an organization, you really miss the connection between colleagues if you see onboarding and the intranet as two separate parts.”
Pauline van Brederode
Communications Advisor Zaans Medisch Centrum
This onboarding document provides an overview of the key ingredients for successful onboarding. By following the 4C model, implementing a step-by-step program, and using a suitable digital tool, HR professionals can establish an effective onboarding program that benefits both new employees and the organisation.
Implementing these best practices will help increase the engagement and retention of new employees while optimising the time and resources that HR professionals dedicated to the onboarding process.
Zelf de voordelen van Plek Onboarding ontdekken?
Bekijk gratis de tour en ontdek het geheim van Plek Onboarding
- May 2023 (10)
- March 2023 (4)
- December 2022 (3)
- November 2022 (3)
- October 2022 (1)
- August 2022 (1)
- July 2022 (1)
- June 2022 (2)
- May 2022 (1)
- April 2022 (1)
- March 2022 (3)
- February 2022 (1)
- January 2022 (1)
- November 2021 (3)
- October 2021 (2)
- September 2021 (1)
- July 2021 (2)
- April 2021 (2)
- March 2021 (1)
- January 2021 (1)
- May 2020 (1)
- September 2019 (1)
- July 2019 (1)
- May 2019 (2)
- March 2019 (1)
- February 2019 (2)
- January 2019 (1)
- December 2018 (2)
- November 2018 (1)
- October 2018 (1)
- June 2018 (2)
- May 2018 (1)
- March 2018 (1)